Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Moth Radio Hour: You've Gotta Hear This!

So I'm driving home from Salem tonight, and as I frequently do I turn on NPR to fill the next 50 minutes to an hour before I get home. And I catch the last minute of some guy describing how he became the bat boy for Don Mattingly of the New York Yankees. Bummer, I missed most of that...

That's OK, next up is a woman telling about her summer vacation with the Kennedys. Only it's more like spying on the Kennedy compound in Hyannisport. And I nearly have to pull over to the side of I-5 because I'm laughing so hard at this woman recalling what it was like to be 9-year-old on summer vacation -- with her aunts and their binoculars and the Kennedys a few doors down...

But nothing could prepare me for what came next. The nice lady on The Moth Radio Hour introduced the next storyteller with a warning that what I was about to hear might be too much for me to take. Oh please...

She wasn't kidding. A few minutes earlier I thought I might have to pull over to laugh. Now I thought I might have to pull over to cry at the tale of "Tonight Show" comedian Anthony Griffith sharing the ultimate heartbreak. I won't spoil it, you can let me know what you think after you take a listen.

"I think it's the next big huge hit in public radio," Garrison Keillor notes in a little teaser at the top of The Moth Radio Hour homepage. After hearing Radio Hour 1, I couldn't agree more. As usual, this is something that's been around for a while and it's only now that I'm catching on. Better late than never, as they say...

-rp-

1 comment:

JayFu07 said...

I must say that I almost never listen to the radio. But I have caught a few glimpses of the Moth Radio Hour and I have to say that I'm quite impressed. I'm not sure who it was talking but they were extremely hilarious and I enjoyed it tremendously.