Sunday, November 8, 2009

Amazing Veterans Day Parade Photo

Every day when I turn on my computer I'm often greeted by a phenomenal photo taken by one of the fine photographers at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the daily newspaper from my hometown of Milwaukee, Wis. Today was no exception.

The homepage photo on JSOnline today was a re-enacted Iwo Jima flag-raising on a float in the annual downtown Veterans Day Parade. I think I was so moved by the photo in part because we are just about to celebrate Veterans Day on Wednesday, but also the tragedy that happened last Thursday at Fort Hood in Texas. At last count, two of those who were killed and four of the injured were from the state where I grew up, Wisconsin.

The parade photo from Milwaukee was a reminder to honor all those women and who have or are serving our nation, whether here or overseas. We will get an opportunity to honor those closer to home this Wednesday at the annual Veterans Day parade in Albany, just up the road from LBCC.

I'm hopeful one of my students will come back from that event with a photo that similarly depicts the fine folks who wear the uniform of the USA.

-rp-

No comments: